Wednesday 24 February 2010

Skyleigh Kitty :)

Hi everyone! Skyleigh has returned to my Etsy lampwork shop :) She is in my two favourite glass colours all swirled together. I love her!

I've just had my two year anniversary of making my very first bead!! Awww :) I can't believe it's only been two years (and yet, the time has flown past) since I lit my old Hot Head torch. I thought I'd share something with you..

When I first lit the torch, I was terrified of it! I hated it. I hated the flame, hated the noise, hated the way the glass melted and moved. As a matter of fact, I nearly gave it up altogether! Why didn't I? For the most basic reason of all: my competitive spirit! You see, my husband Steve could make a better bead than I could. His beads LOOKED like beads, not like horrible, mutant globs of glass with pointy ends. I could not let this stand! So, everyday while he was at work, I practiced. I turned on my little Hot Head, put on special protective sleeves, flinched every time I put the glass in the flame... and suddenly something clicked. I could make a round bead! I could make a dotted bead! Now that I could actually make a balanced, round bead, I moved on to the next logical step: encased florals (yeah, patience isn't one of my virtues!). I wanted to make encased florals and I wasn't going to let anyone tell me I couldn't! After much practice (and possibly tears *ahem*) I finally made an encased floral that I was happy with (which now makes me shudder).

Since then I've moved on to mainly sculptural beads but every now and then I look at my pot of starter beads and I smile. All those poor little mutant globs of glass look so adorable now because they represent the starting of the most amazing journey of my life.

Thank you to all of you who have walked this path with me and offered your support and praise. I am so lucky to love what I do.. and I have you to thank for that.

Have a great week, everyone :)

Love,
keiara

www.bykeiara.co.uk
www.bykeiara.etsy.com

0 comments:






About Me

My photo
Folkestone, Kent, United Kingdom
Hi! My name is keiara and I'm a native Floridian currently living in Folkestone, England. I am a hot glass and jewellery artist and I'm passionate about what I do! I love to 'talk shop' so feel free to contact me. Thanks for stopping by!